A quick note what I infer from p_loo and Pareto k values

Unfortunately help text for parnames doesn’t tell whether it includes also transformed parameters. @paul.buerkner can you clarify?

Can you show also the brms formula you are using? Maybe you have a hierarchical model and the observations with high khats are in groups with only a few observations?

1 Like

Thanks for yoru reply! This is the command I used to fit the model:

There are 237541 data points in data2fit.all. The data points are from 157 genes and 1513 cells from 8 cell types. For this model, there are 157*8=1256 group levels. sc.prop is the only predictor in the model. For overdispersion and zero inflation parameter of the ZINB distribution, I chose them to be the same across all levels.

A few questions:

(1) It seems that each data point has a khat. Forgive my limited knowledge of how khat is estimated. Does high khat mean the model fits badly for the given data point? I assume “fit badly” here means the model is not able to generate a value that is similar to the observed value during posterior predictive check?
(2) In my case, the loo result shows that 15 observations with k greater than 0.7. It seems a small number compared to the total number of data points. Can I ignore this just by looking at the number of data points with khat > 0.7? Does a small proportion indicate a good fit?
(3) This may be a stupid question. When I try to fit a model using variational inference, I often get warinings of high Pareto khat. When I try to fit a model using MCMC sampling, I usually don’t see this information. I understand that loo() is a generic function on models fitted with any method. But can I ignore the loo() result if my model fitted by MCMC sampling show good convergence (no divergences)?

parnames contains a lot of things (including some generated quantities but excluding some parameters) and I wouldn’t use it to compare against p_loo.

It means that the observation is highly influential and leave-one-out-posterior when leaving that observation out is so much different than full posterior that importance sampling approximated LOO fails (and waic would fail, too). See Pareto smoothed importance sampling for more. Observation can be highly influential for different reasons, see LOO Glossary Pareto k estimates.

With khat >0.7 the error can be negligible or very large with some probability, but as you can’t know how large the error can be or what is that probability what to do depends on how are you going to use the model. I recommend to look at those 15 observations and check if you can see why they are highly influential. This will also improve your understanding of the phenomenon, data and model.

Small proportion means that small proportion is highly influential and there can be different reasons why observations are highly influential, see the link above.

That is likely as variational inference is less accurate than MCMC

The purpose of convergence diagnostics is different from the purpose of loo(). In addition of checking divergences, it is recommended to use also other convergence diagnostics (e.g. Rhat and ESS, and also look at the MCSE for quantities of interest). AIf the convergence diagnostics don’t alert about possible issues, then loo() can be used as part of model checking, assessment of predictive performance and model comparison.

2 Likes

Is there an easy way to extract an appropriate number for the parameters used in a brms fit?

1 Like

I see. Then is there a function or a procedure that I can follow by myself to get the number of parameters that can be used to compare with p_loo?

Thank you so much for this detailed answer and all the references! I am not very familiar with the concept of Pareto smooth sampling and related concepts that are involved in loo() but I will take a look at the materials you suggested and follow your suggestions to check my models. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Two quick questions regarding the interpretation of high Pareto k estimates:

1. If posterior predictive check looks good, then can this be used as an evidence to say that the model is not misspecified?
  2. High Pareto k could be due to model is so flexible or the population prior so weak. If that is the case, is this something to worry about or it is good to leave the model as it is and use it?

Only as a partial evidence, as it’s possible that 1) model is overfitting, 2) posterior predictive check is misleading, e.g. 2a) if kernel density estimate is used it can hide problems, or 2b) looking at the marginal doesn’t reveal problems with conditional distributions.

It depends. If you have a simpler equivalent model maybe use that instead (e.g. models where the latent values can be integrated out analytically). If you know you model is likely to be the best one then do enough other checks or do K-fold-CV etc.

1 Like

Got it. Thank you for your answer!

1 Like

Greetings,

Rather than opening a new topic, I would like to revive this one and ask about the reliability of LOO-PSIS for categorical(multinomial) models with discrete data.

I am not comparing the two models, yet I want to check model performance. Here are my results from arviz.loo, How should I proceed? Should I apply reloo (which is still in experimental stage in Arviz) ?

UserWarning: Estimated shape parameter of Pareto distribution is greater than 0.7 for one or more samples. You should consider using a more robust model, this is because importance sampling is less likely to work well if the marginal posterior and LOO posterior are very different. This is more likely to happen with a non-robust model and highly influential observations.
  "Estimated shape parameter of Pareto distribution is greater than 0.7 for "
Computed from 40000 posterior samples and 1887 observations log-likelihood matrix.

Estimate       SE
elpd_loo -1086.05    41.25
p_loo      158.86        -

There has been a warning during the calculation. Please check the results.
------

Pareto k diagnostic values:
                         Count   Pct.
(-Inf, 0.5]   (good)     1804   95.6%
 (0.5, 0.7]   (ok)         56    3.0%
   (0.7, 1]   (bad)        20    1.1%
   (1, Inf)   (very bad)    7    0.4%

One final question, How do you report these results in a paper?

p_loo seems high, but as you don’t tell the number of parameters in the model, I’m not able to provide guidance as discussed in my post.

It would be useful to test it

What is purpose of the model and analysis? Maybe it would be useful to use an application specific utility/loss that the audience is used to interpret?

1 Like

My model as follows;

model = bmb.Model("Modal~ Subject_Pos + Animacy + Pattern + Modal_C + Verb_C + Voice + Aspect + Topic_C ", data = df, family = "categorical")

Also summary output;

az.summary(idata)
                       mean     sd  hdi_3%  ...  ess_bulk  ess_tail  r_hat
Intercept[could]     -5.111  1.748  -8.481  ...   40076.0   27586.0    1.0
Intercept[may]       -4.876  1.751  -8.192  ...   43095.0   29569.0    1.0
Intercept[might]     -9.392  2.021 -13.268  ...   35466.0   29329.0    1.0
Intercept[must]      -4.498  1.260  -6.884  ...   35056.0   31421.0    1.0
Intercept[shall]    -13.775  2.605 -18.753  ...   30023.0   31057.0    1.0
                    ...    ...     ...  ...       ...       ...    ...
Topic_C[T9, must]     1.002  2.892  -4.602  ...   20178.0   26130.0    1.0
Topic_C[T9, shall]   -5.253  5.952 -17.040  ...   43337.0   31879.0    1.0
Topic_C[T9, should]  -0.823  2.912  -6.241  ...   20180.0   27113.0    1.0
Topic_C[T9, will]     2.605  3.459  -3.891  ...   32170.0   32606.0    1.0
Topic_C[T9, would]    2.481  3.469  -3.927  ...   32004.0   31729.0    1.0

[232 rows x 9 columns]

Well, I do not think there is a common utility/loss application the audience is used to. The only thing asked for is R2 score which is unavailable in Arviz expect for Linear Regression.

The number of parameters is 232 including intercept, if I am not interpreting wrong. I am not sure if there is another statistics provided with Arviz’s InferenceData. If I am wrong, can you please clarify the term ‘number of parameters’?

Well, basically I am trying to observe preference for items in the response variable given predictors. The question is how well the model works?

I assume also 232 based on 232 rows, but I’m not ArviZ user myself (just helping to get good algorithms and co there)

So that would the number of parameters? Then p_loo of about 159 is high, and your model is very flexible. reloo should work fine (given the experimental code doesn’t have bugs).

R2 for categorical is very rare.

Maybe show a confusion matrix?

1 Like

Well, a confusion matrix seems like the only way. Actually, the problem is I study/research Second Language Acquisition/Learning, a field where statistical models are not very common except for few instances of corpus studies.

For the reloo function, I am still trying to prepare a wrapper, which is a little bit challenging.Yet I found a similar topic explaining a success case.

Meanwhile, I tried to apply different models with the same variables. Still, p_loo was high in all cases. Does the skewness of the data impact results?

I think it’s just having many parameters.

I hope you get useful results with your statistical model.

I now also noticed that ess’s are very high and you seem to be running 10x too many iterations, and you could save a lot of time by running less iterations

1 Like

Since I am running on Colab, I did not bother to drop the number of iterations. Babmi with GPU support is really fast.

Cool, if the speed is not an issue, you can do full brute force LOO, which is easier to implement than reloo.

Defying proper priors seems like did the trick.

Computed from 10000 posterior samples and 1887 observations log-likelihood matrix.

Estimate       SE
elpd_loo -1063.67    37.15
p_loo       92.08        -
------

Pareto k diagnostic values:
                         Count   Pct.
(-Inf, 0.5]   (good)     1885   99.9%
 (0.5, 0.7]   (ok)          2    0.1%
   (0.7, 1]   (bad)         0    0.0%
   (1, Inf)   (very bad)    0    0.0%

khat

1 Like

Ah! I always forget that brms doesn’t use proper priors by default! I try to remember the next time someone asks similar question (and ask again @paul.buerkner if he would be willing to switch to default proper priors)

1 Like