Unable to install rstanarm both with reference to Survival and without any reference

Hi everybody,

I have the same problem. I want to install ‘rstanarm’ on windows with these commands:

1. devtools::install_github(“stan-dev/rstanarm”,ref = “feature/survival”, build_vignettes = FALSE)

It installed after uninstalling and re-installing many other packages like ‘glue’, ‘ps’, etc. But did not have ‘stan_surv’ function in the end.
There was a warning too:

Warning message:
In utils::untar(tarfile, ...) :
  ‘tar.exe -xf "C:\Users\z3529455\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpstuJZu\file755416331bd.tar.gz" -C "C:/Users/z3529455/AppData/Local/Temp/RtmpstuJZu/remotes75543a041272"’ returned error code 1
  1. devtools::install_github(“stan-dev/rstanarm”, build_vignettes = FALSE)

did not install with this error: installation of package ‘rstanarm’ had non-zero exit status.
Here is the error:

Error: Failed to install 'rstanarm' from GitHub:
  (converted from warning) installation of package ‘C:/Users/z3529455/AppData/Local/Temp/RtmpstuJZu/file75541be324a9/rstanarm_2.19.1.tar.gz’ had non-zero exit status
In addition: Warning message:
  ‘tar.exe -xf "C:\Users\z3529455\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpstuJZu\file7554777d77a3.tar.gz" -C "C:/Users/z3529455/AppData/Local/Temp/RtmpstuJZu/remotes7554f9c35f"’ returned error code 1

Then, I decided to update my R and Rtools version to see it makes anything better; however, again I got errors which were related to memory. that is:

cc1plus.exe: out of memory allocating 5401568 bytes
make: *** [C:/Users/z3529455/DOCUME~1/R/R-40~1.1/etc/i386/Makeconf:227: stan_files/jm.o] Error 1
rm stan_files/jm.cc stan_files/binomial.cc stan_files/lm.cc stan_files/continuous.cc stan_files/bernoulli.cc stan_files/polr.cc stan_files/surv.cc stan_files/count.cc stan_files/mvmer.cc
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'rstanarm'
* removing 'C:/Users/z3529455/Documents/R/R-4.0.1/library/rstanarm'
Error: Failed to install 'rstanarm' from GitHub:
  (converted from warning) installation of package ‘C:/Users/z3529455/AppData/Local/Temp/Rtmpg3xybY/file6cc4199c7231/rstanarm_2.19.1.tar.gz’ had non-zero exit status
In addition: Warning message:
  ‘tar.exe -xf "C:\Users\z3529455\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpg3xybY\file6cc445597d5d.tar.gz" -C "C:/Users/z3529455/AppData/Local/Temp/Rtmpg3xybY/remotes6cc4cbd2c7c"’ returned error code 1

I even tried the advice of @andrjohns which is:

Sys.setenv(MAKEFLAGS="-j2")
devtools::install_github("stan-dev/rstanarm",ref = "feature/survival", build_vignettes = FALSE)

Unfortunately, I get memory errors again.

I would highly appreciate it if someone can help me resolve this issue.

Sorry you’re having trouble installing this and sorry no one responded here yet. Do you know how much RAM your computer has?

What about with "-j1" instead of "-j2"? It will probably still error, but worth checking.

@bgoodri There have been a lot of people reporting that they can’t install the “feature/survival” branch on Windows. Do you know of anything we can do about this? I know it takes a lot of RAM but does it really take so much that even with 32gb of RAM (as reported here) it can’t be compiled? Is there potentially something else going on besides the RAM issue?

The 32 bitness restriction on the address space.

Hi @jonah,

Thank you for your reply.
I tried installing with the new setting you mentioned. It did not install again…