`log_prob_grad` method for CmdStan mimicking its `generate_quantities` method

After @mitzimorris feedback and following the design doc readme and considering that (excepting the ServerStan) @jonah said

and mirroring the original gq post I wanted to advertise my opened cmdstan issue.

From the description:

Currently there exists no good method (using cmdstan(py)) that takes a set of parameter values and (re)computes lp__ and its gradient. See Log_prob_grad via csv files for cmdstan

This would be good to have to calibrate the ODE solver configurations.

Changes required are:

• Add stan/services/sample/standalone_lpg.hpp
  • Modify cmdstan/command.hpp

Eventually this method should be exposed via CmdStanPy or its R equivalent.

(Tests are of course also required. And documentation. Almost forgot the documentation).

Just like the standalone_generate function, the standalone_lpg function

Stan fork: GitHub - funko-unko/stan at feature/issue-1012-add-log_prob_grad

Cmdstan fork: GitHub - funko-unko/cmdstan at feature/issue-1012-add-log_prob_grad

So far code contains preliminary tests and a (hopefully) working implementation. I still have to do some more tests myself, but in principle this is the direction this would take.

Edit:

As this method goes especially well together with the soon to be released adjoint ode solver, for which we don’t really know what good configurations are, we might consider speeding up the review process such that this feature makes it into the next release. I’ll prepare a (nonadjoint) use case which can also be used in the documentation asap.

Also, I checked and the gq method does not appear to have a design doc, maybe this doesn’t need one either?

As @betanalpha has voiced concerns about the adequacy of the adjoint configuration options and this feature provides users with the tool needed to ensure that both lp__ and its gradient are computed to good enough precision, I have tagged you here as well.

Note that we don’t actually appear to know what “good enough precision” really means. For draws from the posterior of the planetary motion test case, I think I observed relative (elementwise) errors in the gradient of up to 100%.

Edit2: I think I’ll also tag @rok_cesnovar

5 Likes

Standalone generated quantities was developed long before design docs. instead, Bob Carpenter, Ben Goodrich, and I sat in a conference room and brainstormed the issue. It took me two tries to get a robust implementation - design docs would have helped alot.

4 Likes

I’ll link back to here: CoDatMo Liverpool & UNINOVE models (slow ODE implementation and Trapezoidal Solver) - #73 by alphillips

I think anything related to importance sampling would benefit from this functionality. Of course, we only need the log_prob part of the log_prob_grad, but even this currently is kind of awkward to recompute for a whole fit.

Edit:

Link back to another potential victim: Zero chain movement/mixing in forced ODE model - #21 by Robert_Dodier

1 Like