Dealing with Catalina II

Hi,

everything seems to work now using @coatless’s instruction and this .R/Makevars:

CFLAGS=-isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk
CCFLAGS=-isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk
CXXFLAGS=-isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk
CPPFLAGS=-isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk -I/usr/local/include
CXX14 = /usr/local/clang7/bin/clang++ -stdlib=libc++ -nostdinc++ -I/usr/local/clang7/include/c++/v1
SHLIB_CXX14LD = /usr/local/clang7/bin/clang++ -L/usr/local/clang7/lib

And, thanks to all the people who’ve spent the last month looking into this… :)

Hi!

Oh, I missed that this solves the issue as well.

Forcing the use of the R ABI libraries as suggested by myself even works with the XCode clang compiler as I just tried out with the exception example.

It’s probably cleaner to go with clang7 only, but at least people are not forced into the clang7 install.

Sebastian

4 Likes

I’ve verified that both the solution given by @bgoodri and @wds15’s addition of SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS works. I think @wds15’s approach is probably better as it: 1. relies less on specifying defaults for each language specification (c++{98, 11, 14,17}) and 2. uses R’s shipped ABI.

CPPFLAGS=-isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk -I/usr/local/include

SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS+=-Wl,-rpath,/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libc++abi.1.dylib

Before I roll out a new installer, is there any objection? @bgoodri?

1 Like

I don’t know enough about Macs to object. I guess it should have some $(R_HOME) stuff rather than /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/

I do wonder, however, what the implications for a src/Makevars file in a package like rstanarm or RBesT that comes with Stan programs that are compiled on CRAN. Should the src/Makevars file also have -Wl,-rpath,$(R_HOME)/lib $(R_HOME)/lib/libc++abi.1.dylib somewhere in it? What if the user has installed R someplace else?

The following works:

# clang: start

SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS+=-Wl,-rpath,${R_HOME}/lib ${R_HOME}/lib/libc++abi.1.dylib
# clang: end

Output from test:

R> Rcpp::sourceCpp(code = 
+ ' #include <Rcpp.h>
+ using namespace Rcpp;  
+ // [[Rcpp::export]]
+ int throw_exception() { 
+   std::stringstream errmsg; errmsg << "this is an exception";
+   throw std::domain_error(errmsg.str()); 
+   return 0;
+ }
+ ', verbose = TRUE, rebuild = TRUE)

Generated extern "C" functions 
--------------------------------------------------------

#include <Rcpp.h>
// throw_exception
int throw_exception();
RcppExport SEXP sourceCpp_12_throw_exception() {
BEGIN_RCPP
    Rcpp::RObject rcpp_result_gen;
    Rcpp::RNGScope rcpp_rngScope_gen;
    rcpp_result_gen = Rcpp::wrap(throw_exception());
    return rcpp_result_gen;
END_RCPP
}

Generated R functions 
-------------------------------------------------------

`.sourceCpp_12_DLLInfo` <- dyn.load('/private/var/folders/b0/vt_1hj2d6yd8myx9lwh81pww0000gn/T/RtmpDGcrdF/sourceCpp-x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0-1.0.2/sourcecpp_edec7e57c198/sourceCpp_14.so')

throw_exception <- Rcpp:::sourceCppFunction(function() {}, FALSE, `.sourceCpp_12_DLLInfo`, 'sourceCpp_12_throw_exception')

rm(`.sourceCpp_12_DLLInfo`)

Building shared library
--------------------------------------------------------

DIR: /private/var/folders/b0/vt_1hj2d6yd8myx9lwh81pww0000gn/T/RtmpDGcrdF/sourceCpp-x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0-1.0.2/sourcecpp_edec7e57c198

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R CMD SHLIB -o 'sourceCpp_14.so' --preclean  'fileedec67dd7d75.cpp'  
clang++ -std=gnu++11 -I"/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include" -DNDEBUG   -I"/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/Rcpp/include" -I"/private/var/folders/b0/vt_1hj2d6yd8myx9lwh81pww0000gn/T/RtmpDGcrdF/sourceCpp-x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0-1.0.2" -isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk -I/usr/local/include  -fPIC  -isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk -c fileedec67dd7d75.cpp -o fileedec67dd7d75.o
clang++ -std=gnu++11 -dynamiclib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -undefined dynamic_lookup -single_module -multiply_defined suppress -Wl,-rpath,/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libc++abi.1.dylib -L/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o sourceCpp_14.so fileedec67dd7d75.o -F/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/.. -framework R -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation
R> 
R> throw_exception()
Error in throw_exception() : this is an exception

If there no objections, I’ll re-roll the installer based on this.

Released a new version of the installer here:

Special thanks to @bgoodri, @wds15, and @kevinushey for their efforts in helping identify problem and propose solutions.

6 Likes

Hi All,

First of all, thanks for all the hard work you put into this. I read through the other Catalina thread and this one, and although I think I followed all the steps, I somehow still get errors when running a Stan model through rstan (one that ran without errors in the previous version of Mac OS). These are the steps I took:

1. “upgrade” to Catalina (unfortunately). I’m now on Mac OS 10.15.1 (19B88)

2. remove rstan and StanHeaders (through clicking the ‘X’ in the RStudio packages pane)

3. in terminal: xcode-select --install

4. install the @coatless r-macos-rtools from the post above. My Makevars file is now as follows:

SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS+=-Wl,-rpath,${R_HOME}/lib ${R_HOME}/lib/libc++abi.1.dylib

5. confirm that the following works:

library(readr) # or another package with compiled C++

Rcpp::sourceCpp(code = 
'
#include <Rcpp.h>
using namespace Rcpp; 

// [[Rcpp::export]]
int throw_exception() { 
  std::stringstream errmsg; errmsg << "this is an exception";
  throw std::domain_error(errmsg.str()); 
  return 0;
}
'
)

throw_exception()

(i.e. output is Error in throw_exception() : this is an exception )
6. install.packages("rstan", type = "source", dependencies = TRUE)
7. run a model through rstan. Error messages:

[1] "Error in sampler$call_sampler(args_list[[i]]) : "
[2] "  c++ exception (unknown reason)"     

Somehow 2 out of the 4 chains run fine while the other 2 give this error.

Can someone please help me out? I hope that I simply missed a crucial step in one of the threads. If not, please let me know what I can do to provide more information.

Thanks!
Maurits

If 2 of the 4 chains, never throw exceptions, that could happen. What happens when you run that model after putting

CXX14 = /usr/local/clang7/bin/clang++ -stdlib=libc++ -nostdinc++ -I/usr/local/clang7/include/c++/v1
SHLIB_CXX14LD = /usr/local/clang7/bin/clang++ -L/usr/local/clang7/lib/

into ~/.R/Makevars ?

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. After updating Makevars (I added these lines without touching the rest) I get the exact same behavior - 2 chains run fine, 2 chains crash immediately with the error message from before.

Missing the ~/.Renviron file…

PATH="/usr/local/clang7/bin:${PATH}"
1 Like

I just checked - I do have a ~/.Renviron file with the exact same content.

Did you restart your R session? Make sure that you are not loading an old R environment.

Please also verify the installer package locations as this was done outside of the installer.

ls /usr/local
1 Like

Thanks for all the quick replies!

ls /usr/local gives

Cellar bin clang6 clang8 f-secure include man remotedesktop texlive
Homebrew clang4 clang7 etc gfortran lib opt share var

See anything wrong?

Interestingly, I restarted R and removed the saved Stan model (.rds file) again. This time when running it tells me Building R package from source requires installation of additional build tools. Do you want ot install the additional tools now?

Since I had removed the .rds files before posting here, this change must have come from updating the Makevars file with @bgoodri 's post. Any ideas what I’m missing now?
xcode-select --install tells me the command line tools are already installed.

Something is off on your system. I’m not sure what though.

Could you give me:

1. A screenshot of the startup text / RStudio IDE panel
  2. Details about your R installation via:
utils::sessionInfo()

Apparently I was a bit sloppy. When removing the flags from @bgoodri’s post from Makevars, I still have R ask me to install additional build tools as soon as I start compiling a Stan model. Not sure why this happens, as it didn’t happen before.

1. Not a screenshot but hopefully this works for you:

R version 3.6.1 (2019-07-05) – “Action of the Toes”
Copyright © 2019 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)

R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
Type ‘license()’ or ‘licence()’ for distribution details.

Natural language support but running in an English locale

R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
Type ‘contributors()’ for more information and
‘citation()’ on how to cite R or R packages in publications.

Type ‘demo()’ for some demos, ‘help()’ for on-line help, or
‘help.start()’ for an HTML browser interface to help.
Type ‘q()’ to quit R.

1. This is the output:
    R version 3.6.1 (2019-07-05)
    Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
    Running under: macOS Catalina 10.15.1

Matrix products: default
BLAS: /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib
LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] compiler_3.6.1 tools_3.6.1 packrat_0.5.0

Obviously, if you have something better to do on a weekend than look at this I respect that. This is not super urgent :-)

Oh, one more thing. I just tried the Rcpp throw_exception thing again and now I get the following error:

/Users/mauritsm/.R/Makevars:7: *** Recursive variable `PATH’ references itself (eventually). Stop.
clang++ -std=gnu++11 -I"/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include" -DNDEBUG -I"/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/Rcpp/include" -I"/private/var/folders/87/4lknlk2d2c39ph1ty1xtmwnr0000gn/T/RtmpefxTCL/sourceCpp-x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0-1.0.3" -isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk -I/usr/local/include -fPIC -isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk -c file12a479465fc1.cpp -o file12a479465fc1.o
Error in Rcpp::sourceCpp(code = “\n#include <Rcpp.h>\nusing namespace Rcpp; \n\n// [[Rcpp::export]]\nint throw_exception() { \n std::stringstream errmsg; errmsg << “this is an exception”;\n throw std::domain_error(errmsg.str()); \n return 0;\n}\n”) :
Error 1 occurred building shared library.

Sys.getenv('PATH') gives:
[1] “/usr/local/clang7/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:export PATH=/usr/local/clang6/bin:$PATH:/Library/TeX/texbin:/opt/X11/bin”

Hope this is useful information - I’m definitely not an expert at this…

This is what you need to sort out, I think. That’s not a rstan problem at all. You PATH definition is messed up apparently.

1 Like

Here is my steps to solve the problem:

1. Update Xcode to the newest version.
  2. In terminal: xcode-select —install (install the Xcode CLI)
  3. Install the r-macos-rtools by @coatless
  4. In Finder: Go → Go to Folders… → ~/.R/Makevars and modify the Makevars file as @wds15’s suggestion :

SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS+=-Wl,-rpath,/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libc++abi.1.dylib
SHLIB_CXX11LDFLAGS+=-Wl,-rpath,/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libc++abi.1.dylib
SHLIB_CXX14LDFLAGS+=-Wl,-rpath,/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libc++abi.1.dylib

1. (Maybe optional)In R: upgrade to R 3.6.1, remove rstan and StanHeaders (maybe optional) and reinstall rstan:

remove.packages(“rstan”)
remove.packages(“StanHeaders”)
file.remove(“.RData”)

restart R

install.packages(“rstan”, dependencies = TRUE)

1 Like

I did some Googling and was able to find what was wrong with my setup. Then I restarted my computer and reran the model from before and all chains are sampling now. Thanks @bgoodri, @coatless and @wds15 for your help with this!

Same for me, if I run @coatless as-is then I get sampling errors every now and then. But if I change .R/Makevars to

SHLIB_CXX11LDFLAGS+=-Wl,-rpath,/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libc++abi.1.dylib
SHLIB_CXX14LDFLAGS+=-Wl,-rpath,/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libc++abi.1.dylib

then it works.

3 Likes