Case study: NNGP based models in Stan


Hi all, I just updated my case study on my Github. Here is the new pdf:
NNGP_stan.pdf (1.5 MB)

Many thanks to everyone who helped me, special thanks to Micheal and Aki. ^_^

Wish you a Happy New year!


Did you want us to post that with the Stan case studies? If so, and people who understand these models are OK with it, we’d like a version in a single HTML file with an open-source license for the code and the text (for the text, it only needs to be something that lets us distribute it).


Yes, that will be great!

Is it fine to give the github link?

Is there anything else I need to do? Thank you very much!


Lu Zhang


You need to explicitly license the content or we won’t have the legal right to distribute it. You can see the other case studies—we recommend BSD or something similar for code and one of the CC licenses for the text.


Sorry for the delayed response. I was on vacation in China and am now catching up my work. I claimed the license in my case study:

Here is my GitHub link:

Is it okay? ^_^


Your case study looks OK in Chrome, but it doesn’t render in Safari—the nav bar overlaps the text making it completely illegible. I’d rather use formats that work in all the major browsers if you could choose a different format. Otherwise, it’s going to need qualifications both in the case study and around the links warning users that it doesn’t render in Safari.

When that’s ironed out, I can post.


Okay, I will try another format. ^_^



The case study renders fine for me in Safari 11.0.2.


I haven’t updated OS versions yet, so only have 10.1.2 Safari. It works in other browsers. So I’ll just go ahead and post it. You can update later if we get complaints from others.


OK, I pushed the version to the web site. For some reason, it renders OK for me from the web site, whereas it won’t render for me correctly using the static HTML on my local machine.

Thanks, Lu!


Hi Bob,

I tried 4 different browsers on my mac and the explorer on my desktop.
I found it failed to render in the explorer on my desktop and the explorer
in the parallel system on my mac. I am still trying find a better format.
Besides, I revise my writing a little bit. I will let you know when I fix
the problem ^_^


Lu Zhang


It’s easy to add a new version. Please just send a pull request if you have a new version. Here are the pages to edit on the web page repo:

  • index: users/documentation/

  • HTML: users/documentation/case_studies/


Okay~ Thank you so much!


Lu Zhang


Hi Bob,

I just updated my case study and pulled a request. I edited the readme file and changed the format. My advisor and I think “latent NNGP model” is better than “random-effects NNGP model,” so I revised my case study accordingly. Thank you very much for your help. Please feel free to contact me about the case study.

Best Regards,

Lu Zhang


Thanks. Feel free to revise whenever you’d like through pull requests. I announced it on Andrew’s blog.