Prisoner's Dilemma with hBayesDM

Greetings,

I am trying to use hBayesDM to model a Prisoner’s Dilemma task.

This is a simple task with 2 choices (Cooperate or Defect) and 4 outcomes (gaining 0, 1, 2 or 3 points).

I have modeled this task using the VBA Toolbox with complex models using multiple learning rates, tit-for-tat components, etc.

I am trying to run the most simple RW model of this task with just a single learning rate. For this, I based my model on the 2-armed bandit model, which is the most similar as it also only has 2 choices (however, the outcomes are -1 or 1).
I didn’t really change much from the original model, as I am completely new to Stan. I was hoping someone could give some pointers to arrive at my desired model.

Below is the code I have used. My data is just three columns (Subject, Choice, Outcome). Currently, this runs, and the model fits, but when I try to plot any outcomes I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/mnt/d/Downloads/hBayesDM/Python/hbayesdm/diagnostics.py", line 62, in print_fit
    dataset_dict = {
  File "/mnt/d/Downloads/hBayesDM/Python/hbayesdm/diagnostics.py", line 64, in <dictcomp>
    az.from_pystan(model_data.fit, log_likelihood='log_lik')
  File "/home/vasco/anaconda3/envs/npai_python37/lib/python3.8/site-packages/arviz/data/io_pystan.py", line 944, in from_pystan
    return PyStanConverter(
  File "/home/vasco/anaconda3/envs/npai_python37/lib/python3.8/site-packages/arviz/data/io_pystan.py", line 268, in to_inference_data
    "posterior": self.posterior_to_xarray(),
  File "/home/vasco/anaconda3/envs/npai_python37/lib/python3.8/site-packages/arviz/data/base.py", line 46, in wrapped
    return func(cls, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/vasco/anaconda3/envs/npai_python37/lib/python3.8/site-packages/arviz/data/io_pystan.py", line 86, in posterior_to_xarray
    data, data_warmup = get_draws(posterior, ignore=ignore, warmup=self.save_warmup)
  File "/home/vasco/anaconda3/envs/npai_python37/lib/python3.8/site-packages/arviz/data/io_pystan.py", line 617, in get_draws
    ary[ary_slice] = pyholder.chains[key][-ndraw:]
ValueError: could not broadcast input array from shape (1000) into shape (0)

Model:

#include /pre/license.stan

data {
  int<lower=1> N;                                  //Number of subjects
  int<lower=1> T;                                  // Max number of trials across subjects
  int<lower=1, upper=T> Tsubj[N];                  // Number of trials/block for each subject
  int<lower=1, upper=2> choice[N, T];              // The options subjects choose
  int<lower=0, upper=3> outcome[N, T];             // The amount of reward values
}
transformed data {
  vector<lower=0, upper=3>[2] initV;  // initial value for EV
  initV = rep_vector(0, 2);
}
parameters {
// Declare all parameters as vectors for vectorizing
  // Hyper(group)-parameters
  vector[2] mu_pr;
  vector<lower=0>[2] sigma;

// Subject-level raw parameters (for Matt trick)
  vector[N] A_pr;    // learning rate
  vector[N] tau_pr;  // inverse temperature
}
transformed parameters {
  // subject-level parameters
  vector<lower=0, upper=1>[N] A;
  vector<lower=0, upper=5>[N] tau;

for (i in 1:N) {
    A[i]   = Phi_approx(mu_pr[1]  + sigma[1]  * A_pr[i]);
    tau[i] = Phi_approx(mu_pr[2] + sigma[2] * tau_pr[i]) * 5;
  }
}
model {
  // Hyperparameters
  mu_pr  ~ normal(0, 1);
  sigma ~ normal(0, 0.2);

// individual parameters
  A_pr   ~ normal(0, 1);
  tau_pr ~ normal(0, 1);

// subject loop and trial loop
    vector[2] ev; // expected value
    real PE;      // prediction error

ev = initV;

for (t in 1:(Tsubj[i])) {
      // compute action probabilities
      choice[i, t] ~ categorical_logit(tau[i] * ev);

// prediction error
      PE = outcome[i, t] - ev[choice[i, t]];

// value updating (learning)
      ev[choice[i, t]] += A[i] * PE;
    }
  }
}
generated quantities {
  // For group level parameters
  real<lower=0, upper=1> mu_A;
  real<lower=0, upper=5> mu_tau;

// For log likelihood calculation
  real log_lik[N];

// For posterior predictive check
  real y_pred[N, T];

// Set all posterior predictions to 0 (avoids NULL values)
    for (t in 1:T) {
      y_pred[i, t] = -1;
    }
  }

mu_A   = Phi_approx(mu_pr[1]);
  mu_tau = Phi_approx(mu_pr[2]) * 5;

{ // local section, this saves time and space
      vector[2] ev; // expected value
      real PE;      // prediction error

// Initialize values
      ev = initV;

log_lik[i] = 0;

for (t in 1:(Tsubj[i])) {
        // compute log likelihood of current trial
        log_lik[i] += categorical_logit_lpmf(choice[i, t] | tau[i] * ev);

// generate posterior prediction for current trial
        y_pred[i, t] = categorical_rng(softmax(tau[i] * ev));

// prediction error
        PE = outcome[i, t] - ev[choice[i, t]];

// value updating (learning)
        ev[choice[i, t]] += A[i] * PE;
      }
    }
  }
}

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Hi,
sorry for not getting to you earlier. I have never used hBayesDM, but I see two broad options, which I can’t discern from your description:

1. You are using hBayesDM as it was intended and all your modifications to the Stan model are through hBayesDM. In this case, this is most likely an issue with hBayesDM and would be better answered at hBayesDM mailing list. Unfortunately, I don’t think any of the devs are regular posters here on Discourse.
  2. You built your own Stan model, using models in hBayesDM as a template. In this case, while it is possible that you may be able to take advantage of some hBayesDM code (once again hBayesDM community would be best poised to answer you inquiries in this regard), it is also possible that this is problematic as you are not using hBayesDM as it was intended and you might be better off not using hBayesDM for diagnostics, but rather directly use Arviz. Additionally, there are folks around (unfortunately not me) that can help you with Arviz.

I also noticed you added the rstan tag to this post, but it appears you are using Python…

Best of luck with your model!

Unfortunately, this looks mostly like an issue with hBayesDM and is thus probably

1 Like