Choosing the new Stan compiler's implementation language

Can you contrast Haskell with OCaml for us in those fields?

For the sake of transparency, here is an attempt at representing my thought process here:
It was on the list but got eliminated somewhat early mostly because @Matthijs (a true PL theorist) really hates it, haha. I also found it very frustrating when I was trying to build a database in it a couple of years ago, or do even basic algorithms if they involved mundane data types like… strings. Managing state is difficult and I don’t think I’m nearly clever enough by half for monad transformers. They haven’t picked an alternative prelude yet and that seems troublesome. My experience is also colored by the fact that a friend of mine has extremely lucrative Haskell work he’s trying to subcontract out, but he can’t find anyone…

PS This quote on Haskell strings (from a Haskell supporter) is too funny not to share:

The String type is very naive, it’s defined as a linked-list of Char pointers. This is not only a bad representation, it’s quite possibly the least efficient (non-contrived) representation of text data possible and has horrible performance in both time and space. And it’s used everywhere in Haskell. Even posterchild libraries for Haskell (Pandoc, etc) use it extensively and have horrible performance because of it.

(emphasis mine to highlight the funny)