Use Stan easily from c++

c++api

Hi,

I was wondering if there has been any progress on this question here.

The idea is being able to use Stan from C++ as easily as it is from R or Python. My use case is that I am doing data acquisition and pre-processing in C++ and writing files to pass the data to cmdstan is a real bottleneck.

Naively, I was thinking that, once the stan file is compiled to a C++ class, there would be a simple way to fit the model to data provided as through Eigen data structures.

Thanks!

Garjola

If you have the C++ file generated from a Stan program, then it is not so hard. The C++ file will have a class with a method that starts like

template <bool propto, bool jacobian, typename T_>
    T_ log_prob(Eigen::Matrix<T_,Eigen::Dynamic,1>& params_r,
               std::ostream* pstream = 0) const {

so it can be evaluated with a long vector of proposals for the real parameters. I think you pretty much need to just call the constructor, although that requires a stan::io::var_context, and then it is ready to go.

Thanks for your quick answer. I think I’ll have to get familiar with the API before understanding how to use stan::io::var_context.

I have been looking at the code generated from the Bernouilli example and I don’t think I’ll be able to understand how to pass the data to fit the model.

Maybe one of the Stan developers could take a simple example and show how to do it?

Is there link to the Doxygen documentation for the API? I have found the description of the model concept which can be useful for starters, but links to other classes would be helpful.

Thanks again!

There’s some code in the unit tests that might be helpful, specifically:

stan/src/test/unit/services/sample/standalone_gqs_big_test.cpp

also, you could look at some of the cmdstan code:

C++ isn’t a very convenient language for optional arguments and heterogeneous data structures like dictionaries. The var_context type is a very low level interface meant to read data out of flat memory structures. What you’d want is a var_context you could add variables to one at a time in an easy way, which I don’t think we currently have. We’re going to need something like that soon to do round trips and restarts in a structured way.

One of the reasons we’ve been reluctant to dump a lot of time into documenting the C++ API is that it’s been pretty volatile compared to the Stan language and interface APIs.

I understand the issue about C++ convenience (alhough heterogeneous containers and optional are coming to the language and already available in boost).

Wouldn’t it be useful to reuse what has been done for python and R ?

The bridge between python/R and C++ seems to be doing what is missing here (and it is already in C++). If such a C++ API was provided in Stan, maintaining other interfaces should be easier also, since it could hide the evolutions of the internal “volatile” API.

I know I am not helping much here, but I am reluctant to write code that somebody else can write better than me ;)

What do you mean? I think the direction is going the wrong way… what was done in Stan (now CmdStan) was reused for Python and R.

As @mitzimorris has mentioned, there are actually a bunch of examples in the Stan repo’s unit tests of creating classes that implement the var_context interface that are based directly on C++ objects like std::vector. So… I think what you’re looking for is already there, but isn’t packaged in a way that’s really robust and general.

If you provide a lot more detail and a concrete use case, I can provide some more help.