Stan in quantum, nano or material physics?

Does anyone here know someone using Stan in quantum, nano or material physics?

I’m not so sure that I’d say that I’m using Stan for material physics, but I have been working on is using Stan to estimate parameters for constitutive models of materials. There are varying degrees to which those models are motivated by physics.

Anything public you can share?

Not at this time, and probably not that soon. I’m aiming for a publication by the end of fiscal year 2018, but I’m not sure how that will work out.

Does anyone here know someone using Stan in quantum, nano or material physics?

We’re estimating material elastic constants using resonance data. My Stancon submission is a really short really informal version of that (https://github.com/bbbales2/stancon_2018). It’s not like lasers and diamonds physics but we think it’s cool :D.

Anything public you can share?

There’s another project I’m working on that I could use some advice on, but the prof in charge asked me to be secretive. If it’s collaboration you’re looking for, I’m pretty sure I could get permission to talk to you about it. It’s a hard problem (but fairly cool).

estimate parameters for constitutive models of materials

Just got a copy of Bower’s applied mechanics off my buddy a couple days ago. I noticed it has a ton of “this is a model you’d use in situation X, but you need calibrate it like Y did in 199Z”, so I thought there might be interesting things in it.

If I make it anywhere I’ll post stuff here. I was hoping there’d be some more basic elastic problems to play with. Any of the deformation stuff just looks so finicky, but I guess elastic is just easy for the most part :/.

Thanks. Could you add the notebook as html for easier preview?

I’m not sure if I have much time for new projects, but happy to help if the questions are related to something I know.

Thanks. Could you add the notebook as html for easier preview?

https://github.com/bbbales2/stancon_2018/blob/master/rus.html . Might have to save-as to avoid it opening as source when you click download. I hope there aren’t too many typos. Put that together kinda quick :/.

I’m not sure if I have much time for new projects, but happy to help if the questions are related to something I know.

Thanks – yeah, I’d appreciate a second look. I’ll see if I can talk this dude into opening up.

Thanks. rawgit.com seems to be helpful if you want to provide link to html

I’d suggest going to Google Scholar and searching for something like

("stan development team" OR "mc-stan.org") X

where X is something like particle physics or quantum physics.

Joe Fromaggio at MIT has been doing a lot of quantum stuff with Stan:

@betanalpha knows a lot more. And here’s some neutrino mass stuff:

There’s a lot out there in all kinds of physics.