Stan 2.17 running slower on a model than Stan 2.15

I did, but what I missed was how you revert just 584. How do you do that?

git revert -m1 6fc8e2a598ec1839f82deb0ba81853d0faad5df5. I pushed this revert up to a branch (I had to resolve some conflicts): https://github.com/stan-dev/math/tree/revert

Iā€™m actually a little worried I might not have had proper hygiene so Iā€™m running everything again. Feel free to double check me! Iā€™m not sure when I realized that make clean-all wasnā€™t deleting the executables generated by cmdstan.

Iā€™m looking at the recorded performance tests around that timeā€¦ thereā€™s definitely something going on.

@seantalts, I think that PR is the cause of some slowdown. I didnā€™t check your git invocation, but what I did was look at this:
http://d1m1s1b1.stat.columbia.edu:8080/job/Daily%20Stan%20Performance/

I downloaded this csv file:
http://d1m1s1b1.stat.columbia.edu:8080/job/Daily%20Stan%20Performance/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/test/performance/performance.csv

Row 270 is before (910756) and 271 is after (beeb68). They donā€™t exactly line up with merged PRs, but close enough. It jumps from 2.0 to 5.2. Thatā€™s not good.

Yep, that matches my own findings. But you were just a minute ago saying that these numbers werenā€™t valid because they needed to do 100 seeds and measure n_eff/s, right?

Also I didnā€™t know (or forgot) about that CSV, good find!

Okay, I deleted my previous graphing post because it turns out my hygiene was bad and I have new numbers (verified twice by myself, others helpful too).

My procedure:

git checkout v2.17.0
make stan-revert
pushd stan
make math-revert
popd
cp stan/src/test/test-models/performance/logistic.stan examples/
make clean-all && rm examples/logistic examples/logistic.hpp; make -j8 bin/stansummary examples/logistic && for i in `seq 1 1000`; do ./examples/logistic sample data file=../stan/src/test/test-models/performance/logistic.data.R > /dev/null && bin/stansummary output.csv | grep lp__ | awk '{print $(NF-1)}'; done > neffs-217-vanilla

and then

pushd stan/lib/stan_math
git fetch
git checkout origin/revert
popd
make clean-all && rm examples/logistic examples/logistic.hpp; make -j8 bin/stansummary examples/logistic && for i in `seq 1 1000`; do ./examples/logistic sample data file=../stan/src/test/test-models/performance/logistic.data.R > /dev/null && bin/stansummary output.csv | grep lp__ | awk '{print $(NF-1)}'; done > neffs-217-sans

So this is way more clear - higher is better because these are numbers of effective samples per second.

Should I revert PR 584 now?

1 Like

I also verified that on my machine, @jjramseyā€™s model fit in ~1 minute on 2.17.0 and ~35 seconds with PR 584 reverted. Fake data here (rename to .Rdump): fakeData.Rdump.csv (6.6 KB)

2 Likes

Please revert! Sorry, that was my fault. I thought I tested and timed properly, but I must not have. If you want any help reverting, I can take care of it. I did it, so I am more than willing to put in the effort to back it out.

1 Like

At this pointā€¦ a big thank you for reporting and coming back to this. Your repeated reporting triggered my and others attention; and it looks like this was for good reason.

Please just post the data on the forum next time as email archives tend to be black holes.

4 Likes

Hey, there are a lot of conflicts with develop so if you donā€™t mind dealing with those thatā€™d be great - it might be easiest to modify whatever scripts you used to convert forward to go backwards vs. trying to deal with the merge conflicts.

1 Like

Iā€™m on it, but it may take a little longer than today. Itā€™s going to be a lot of manual work to get this teased apart.

Iā€™ve created an issue for it: Math #667

Iā€™ll post here when itā€™s been updated. Fortunately, this is a performance hit, but doesnā€™t affect validity of results. Unfortunately, this makes it slower than it needs to be.

FYI, Iā€™ve just tried out a development version of CmdStan with the aforementioned fixes, and it has made a huge difference. Runtimes are reduced to about a quarter of what they were with the release version of Stan 2.17, and are on par with earlier Stan versions.

5 Likes

Thanks for getting involved and also for following up. This is really helpful. I thought Iā€™d get to it and then dropped the ball and nobody else seems to have noticed the thread. We donā€™t have a good system of triage for things coming into the lists that need to be dealt with.

What I shouldā€™ve done is immediately registered this as an issue in the math library (although I didnā€™t know that was the cause of the problem itā€™s the most likely suspect).