RTools 3.3.3 On working PC with no adming rights

I Installed R 3.3.3 on my working PC because I want to install Rstan and it says to use the last frozen version of RTools which is only compatible up to R3.3.x. When I try to run the setup as instructed at: https://github.com/stan-dev/rstan/wiki/Installing-RStan-on-Windows I run into this error message at the very end: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Environment

Access denied[…]

If I ignore the error I do not get the required return when I propmt are Studio to: Sys.getenv(‘PATH’)
I guess it has to do woth the fact that I am not able to start any of the processes with admin rights. Is there a way to install R-Tools anyway to make use of RStan?
I am at a loss about what to do.

Since this is not a strictly Stan-related problem, you may have better luck finding answers elsewhere - for example this StackOverflow question. In particular, you should be able to edit your PATH environment variable manually (I think admin rights are not needed for this).

You can do

Sys.setenv(PATH = paste("path\to\Rtools", PATH, sep = ";"))

in a R session. But you will likely run into additional issues in that the computer may not let you compile C++ programs or start chains in parallel without admin rights to the machine.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. What am I supposed to specify for “, PATH,”?
(Of course) When I add the Path

Sys.setenv(PATH = paste("C:/RTools", PATH, sep = ";"))

R returns

Error in paste("C:/RTools", PATH, sep = ";") : object 'PATH' not found