Reorganizing web pages?

From Andrew. My reply below.

On Dec 13, 2016, at 9:25 PM, Andrew Gelman Gelman@stat.columbia.edu wrote:

(un-cc-ing the others)

Hi,
I do think we have too many tabs now. Here’s my suggested revision:

• Interfaces and Getting Started
  • Documentation and Examples [to me, “Docs” is too cryptic]; [also includes “Cite”]
  • Community [also includes “Events” and “Team” and “Develop” and “Shop” and “Support”]
  • Report Bugs and Suggest Seatures [to me, “Issues” is too cryptic]
  • Wiki [we don’t currently have this category but I was thinking it could be fun for people]

I think 5 categories will be much easier to navigate than 10. As it is, I often have trouble mself figuring out where to find things that I’m looking for on that page!

I don’t. But I also don’t care that much.

The bigger issue is confusing people who already know the
site layout.

We decided against submenus. Do you want to bring them
back, add landing pages under each of those five top-level
menu items, or just have really long web pages that concatenate
our 10 landing pages into 5?

What would “wiki” point to?

And where does this new education page that Sophia et al.
fit in? Everyone’s been griping the case studies and example
models aren’t well enough organized.

I don’t particularly feel like spending a day doing this,
but if someone wants to meet with Andrew and figure out what he
wants below the 5 menu items and then code it, I’d be happy to
review a pull request.

“issues” is what they’re called everywhere.

The point of using small words like “docs” is that more can
then fit on the line.

I thought “community” was the most cryptic, but didn’t know
what else to call it.

• Bob

Bob, it looks like forwards are eaten up by Discourse.

Anyone with permissions: can you search and see if email forwards can’t be posted to discourse via email?

No support:

I’m cc-ing the list here rather than just me and Daniel.
Michael’s the one who put our new web pages together in
the first place, not me, by the way. I did the latest
reorg, which you may recall we ran by you before putting
up.

It’s a perfect bike shed issue if you want to spend a meeting
talking about this.

I think what you’ll find is that everyone has their own
priorities and notions of how to organize something like a
set of web pages and everyone will think their way is the
easiest to understand.

I’ll be able to navigate it no matter what you do, so if
you want to change it, go right ahead. It’s all in markdown on
GitHub so it’s very easy to change.

Who knows what Discourse will do. It may remove Andrew’s
original comments. I don’t know how to control it.

• Bob

It did eat the forwarded message, but I finally found out how to get the raw email.

Here are Andrew’s comments:

On Dec 15, 2016, at 11:53 PM, Andrew Gelman Gelman@stat.columbia.edu wrote:

Hi, maybe the 3 of us can sit down at some point and discuss. Here are my quick replies:

1. I agree that submenus are probably a bad idea. So I think I’d rather concatenate.

2. I was thinking that “wiki” would point us to a Github page listing all our wiki pages. Unless you think that’s a bad idea. Right now that material’s public but it’s kinda hiddent.

3. Sophia’s new education page could be within Documentation and Examples. I’m thinking that when we click Documentation and Examples it goes to a page that itself has links. Not a submenu but just a page with links to the Users Manual, Case Studies, Example Models, etc. Then each of these is its own page. But if that’s too much trouble, I don’t think we need it.

I can believe that you, Bob, can easily navigate these pages because you put them together. Just like, when someone asks me a statistics question, I can right away respond that it’s in chapter 14 of my book with Jennifer, or whatever. But I suspect that for many users, not just me, right now the 10 headers are cryptic and make it hard to find things that people most want to find.

See you
A

Discourse is annoying in the same way as markdown and Microsoft
Office. It ate the text of the reply post. This whole thing
started with it eating my first post.

I don’t want systems trying to figure out what I mean, I want
them to do what I say. Can we make Discourse less willful somehow?

Anyway, here’s the text of Andrew’s post. I think my original
post to which he’s replying went to Discourse, but I can’t find
it. And he made a concrete proposal that I can also no longer
find.

Hi, maybe the 3 of us can sit down at some point and discuss. Here are my quick replies:

1. I agree that submenus are probably a bad idea. So I think I’d rather concatenate.

2. I was thinking that “wiki” would point us to a Github page listing all our wiki pages. Unless you think that’s a bad idea. Right now that material’s public but it’s kinda hiddent.

3. Sophia’s new education page could be within Documentation and Examples. I’m thinking that when we click Documentation and Examples it goes to a page that itself has links. Not a submenu but just a page with links to the Users Manual, Case Studies, Example Models, etc. Then each of these is its own page. But if that’s too much trouble, I don’t think we need it.

I can believe that you, Bob, can easily navigate these pages because you put them together. Just like, when someone asks me a statistics question, I can right away respond that it’s in chapter 14 of my book with Jennifer, or whatever. But I suspect that for many users, not just me, right now the 10 headers are cryptic and make it hard to find things that people most want to find.

See you
A

+1 for a link to the wiki.

@andrewgelman, this was how we left it.

@Bob_Carpenter, I think we decided we’d try to mock this up. Perhaps a branch on the website to start?