Ragged array of simplexes

I meant to say just vector<lower=0>[K1 + K2]; in general, the elements do not need to be ordered. The exponential prior corresponds to a gamma prior with a shape of 1 and a scale of 1, which implies the resulting simplex vector has a uniform distribution. You can use other shapes but the prior is on the thing that you declare in parameters rather than the simplexes that you declare in the transformed parameters or the model block.

Your example would not parse. There is a more complicated example at

where zeta is what you call gamma and I am using the segment function to extract the next nc elements after zeta_mark from it.

Thanks again Ben! So I think I’ve managed to incorporate your feedback into a model (that compiles). I’m pasting it below for anybody else who has the same question.

My remaining question is how to integrate the shape parameter like you’ve mentioned. As you point out, this example code is using a uniform distribution, but I really need to modulate the shape. Do I need an additional variable in transformed parameters or am I supposed to do some kind of initialization of the zeta?

data {
   int<lower=1> M;               // num observations
   int<lower=1> N;                // number of sub-observations for all observations
   real<lower=0> y[N];               //Observations where each row is a subobservation
   int<lower=1,upper=M> observation[N];    //observation id for subobservation n
   int<lower=1> row_to_subobservation_map[N];      //subobservation index for each row
   int<lower=1> count_of_subobservations_per_observation[M];
}

parameters {
   vector<lower=0,upper=1.0>[N] zeta;      // subobservation dist over observation
} 

model {

for (n in 1:N) {

int zeta_mark = n-row_to_subobservation_map[n]+1;
      int nc = count_of_subobservations_per_observation[observation[n]];

vector[nc] pi = segment(zeta,zeta_mark,nc);  // gamma(zeta | shape, 1)
      pi = pi / sum(pi);                           // thus dirichlet(pi | shape)

target += log(y[n]*pi[row_to_subobservation_map[n]]); // likelihood

}
}

How to model a choice between 2 distributions

zeta should not have an upper bound of 1. You just need to do

target += gamma_lpdf(zeta | shape, 1);

where shape is a positive vector that you pass in as data.

I’m still struggling here. Do I really want to increase target with both pi as well as with zeta? For some reason that seems off to me, but I’m pretty new at this so it’s quite possible.

When I use (a multivariate version of) the model below I get divergent sample errors. Is this model that you’re proposing? If so, I’ll look into issues with incorporating my additional feature variables, else I’ll try to fix my model.

data {
   int<lower=1> M;               // num observations
   int<lower=1> N;                // number of sub-observations for all observations
   real<lower=0> y[N];               //Observations where each row is a subobservation
   int<lower=1,upper=M> observation[N];    //observation id for subobservation n
   int<lower=1> row_to_subobservation_map[N];      //subobservation index for each row
   int<lower=1> count_of_subobservations_per_observation[M];
   real shape;     // subobservation weight prior

}

transformed data {
   vector<lower=0>[N] shape_vec;
   for (n in 1:N){
      shape_vec[n] = shape; //symmetric dirichlet prior
   }  
}

parameters {
   vector<lower=0>[N] zeta;      // subobservation dist over observation
} 

transformed parameters {

}

model {

for (n in 1:N) {

int zeta_mark = n-row_to_subobservation_map[n]+1;
      int nc = count_of_subobservations_per_observation[observation[n]];

vector[nc] pi = segment(zeta,zeta_mark,nc);  // gamma(zeta | shape, 1)
      pi = pi / sum(pi);                           // thus dirichlet(pi | shape)

target += log(y[n]*pi[row_to_subobservation_map[n]]); // likelihood

}
  target += gamma_lpdf(zeta | shape, 1.);
}

No, just by zeta.

So where does pi fit in if I’m only inferring zeta? How does this enforce the simplex?

The line pi = pi / sum (pi); implies pi sums to 1 and it was already nonnegative.