I was reflecting on having the initialization error messages being swallowed on the refactoring.
- That was my fault. I’m really sorry for introducing it. I tested for everything I could think of, but didn’t think to test that the exception actually propagated. (We never tested this before.) I tested that exceptions were thrown and that messages existed. Not that the content of the message was preserved.
- Hopefully we all agree now that output (either through the screen or via text files or whatever) does matter. Not down to the character, but there are some things that are very important to how users interact with Stan + the interfaces. If someone asks that output is tested, please include it. (Hopefully it’s not just me that’s sensitive to this. And please ask me to test output too.)
If anyone feels strongly otherwise, feel free to bring up any objections and reasons for them. Or a better way to make sure we continue to have strong interfaces.